For many athletes, entertainers, and artists around the world, the opportunity to come and showcase their talents in the United States is a dream come true. In addition to putting you in the international spotlight, working in the U.S. can open the door to future success by exposing you to the people and institutions that are in a position to make your dreams a reality. The P visa allows non-immigrant workers in the sports, arts, and entertainment fields to come to this country, along with their spouses and children, to work on a temporary basis. While obtaining this type of visa can be a complicated and lengthy process, our trustworthy visa lawyer is here to help.

At the Southern California Goldstein Immigration Lawyers, we can guide you through the required forms and documents necessary to obtain a P visa, while helping to expedite the process and avoid common delays. If you or a loved one has a special talent or skill to showcase or is part of a team of entertainers or athletes visiting the U.S., call today to get the assistance you need to take advantage of what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

P Visa Categories and Criteria

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides temporary visas allowing certain non-immigrant individuals and groups to come and work in the United States. Visas are available for various types of workers, and those for artists, entertainers, and athletes are classified under the P visa. While all require Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker to be filled out by your U.S. employer, each requires you to submit different documents in order to have your application approved. The following is a list of the various categories of P visas available, as well as the supporting documents each requires:

P-1A Visa

To be eligible for the P-1A visa, you must be an internationally recognized athlete or part of an internationally recognized team that shows a high level of success and skill. Documents required include:

  • A copy of your contract with a major U.S. sports league or team or an individual sports contract;
  • Two forms of documents evidencing your participation in your chosen sport and your international ranking as an individual or part of a team;
  • Consultation form from a U.S. labor organization detailing the work or services you will be performing, and your relevant experience.

For P-1B Visa

To be eligible for a P-1B visa, you must be a member of an internationally recognized performance troupe or group of entertainers that has a high level of skill or achievement in the field. Documents required include:

  • A group itinerary of dates and places you will be appearing throughout the U.S.;
  • A statement containing the names of each member of the group and the date they will be performing;
  • A copy of your employment contract;
  • Evidence that the group is internationally recognized, with proof of awards or nominations received or specified forms of evidence attesting to the group’s recognition and achievement.

For P-2 Visa

To be eligible for a P-2 visa, you must be an artist or entertainer performing individually or as part of a group through a government recognized exchange program, with skills comparable to those of other performers or artists taking part in the program. Documents required include:

  • Copies of the reciprocal agreement between your country and the U.S.;
  • Statement from the sponsoring organization;
  • An itinerary of dates and appearances, if you will be performing in other areas;
  • Evidence of similar skills and talents as the U.S. performer you will be exchanging with.

For P-3 Visa

To be eligible for a P-3 visa, you must be an artist and entertainer coming to the U.S., either as an individual or as part of a group, to perform, teach, or coach under a program that is considered culturally unique. Documents required include:

  • An explanation of the event and your itinerary;
  • Copies of the contract or a summary of any oral agreement made between you and where you will be working;
  • Affidavits, letters, or other evidence attesting to your skill and qualifications in teaching traditional art or reviews of your work attesting that it is culturally unique.

For P-4 Visa

P-4 visas may be available to P visa performers, artists or athletes who come to work in the United States on a temporary basis. You can apply for this visa through your own application process. While a P-4 visa does not allow your family members to be employed in this country, they do allow for study at U.S. schools and universities.

P visas are generally valid during the time it takes to complete the specified performance or activity applied for, not to exceed one year. You can request an extension of your stay in one-year increments to continue your performances or activities in the U.S.


Cost for P Immigration Visa

The typical cost for a P Immigration Visa is $695. This price recently increased this year, up from $460 in previous years.

Reach Out to a Los Angeles P Visa Attorney Today for Help

Obtaining a P visa can be a daunting process, and submitting the appropriate forms and documents required is a key part in getting your application approved. At Goldstein Immigration Lawyers, our Los Angeles P Visa lawyer has the knowledge and legal skill you need to meet important deadlines and take advantage of opportunities that often only come once in a lifetime. When you are dealing with potentially complicated matters that have the power to impact you and your loved ones’ futures,  feel free to answer a few questions here, and schedule a case evaluation with our professional team.