Many have asked what they can do to help and have offered to write a letter of support. As the immigration lawyer who is preparing his case, I’d like to offer guidance on how to make your letter of support have as much impact as possible.
Here is what your letter should address:
- State your name, your immigration status (e.g., U.S. citizen, permanent resident), your address and phone number, and some basic background information about yourself.
- Discuss your relationship with Kong. Describe how you met him, how long you have known him, and under what circumstances you interact with him. Give examples from your own personal experience to show that Kong is a good person who takes care of his family and contributes to his community.
- If you know him in a professional capacity–maybe as a customer at Mandarin Tokyo–please give some specific examples, from your professional interactions with him, of how Kong has demonstrated positive traits (e.g.. hard working, well-liked by his staff and customers, reliable, helpful to customers, and so on)
- Please describe how Mr. Chen is important to you and your community and how his deportation and possible absence would negatively impact you and the community at large. Please provide examples whenever possible.
In terms of formatting, your letter should be:
- addressed to “To Whom It May Concern”
- include “Re: Letter of Support for Kong Xin Chen’s Immigration Case” in the header.
- Your letter should be dated and signed in ink. Above your signature, please include the words: “Under the pains and penalties of perjury, I declare that this statement is true and correct to the best of my information and belief.” Notarizing your signature would be helpful but is not essential or required.
Where should you send your letter?
Please send it to:
Goldstein Immigration Lawyers
6 Beacon St., # 220
Boston, MA 02108
We will submit your letter to USCIS, along with other documentation.
When do you need these letters? Is there a deadline?
There is no specific deadline as to when we need these letters. It’s unclear precisely when we need to receive. The timeline for Kong’s case remains unclear.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with me through the contact form on this page.
On behalf of Kong Chen and his family, I’d like to thank you in advance for your support and help.