Is Your Green Card Expiring?

Check the expiration date marked on the front of your green card. If it is coming up soon, you should take action to renew it. Your time until expiration will vary depending on what type of legal status you have. For instance, if you are a permanent legal resident, that date is most likely ten years from when you initially received the card. Alternately, if you are a conditional resident, that date is probably only two years from when you received your green card. It is recommended that you begin the green card renewal process within six months of the expiration date. For assistance with your green card renewal, please contact an experienced immigration attorney.

Renewing Your Green Card and Protecting Your Legal Status

The consequences for the failure to renew your green card will vary considerably depending your specific circumstances. Remember, a green card is not necessarily the same thing as your legal status. It is merely proof of your legal status. If you obtained a green card through marriage, the failure to keep it up-to-date and on your person could lead to major headaches. This is because you have a legal responsibility to ensure that your green card is active. However, the failure to do so does not mean that you will lose actually lose your status as a permanent legal resident.

This is in sharp contrast to what will happen if you let your conditional resident green card expire. If you have status as a conditional resident, it is extremely important that you keep your green card active at all times. For conditional residents, an expired green card really does mean that you could lose your legal status. Letting your green card expire could even lead to you being removed from the United States. Always keep your expiration date in mind. Further, please complete and submit Form I-751, at least 90 days before your conditional green card is scheduled to expire. Remember, a conditional green card is only valid for two years. For additional information on protecting your status, please contact a green card renewal attorney today.   

How to Get a Replacement Green Card

In order to obtain your new, updated, green card, you must submit USCIS Form I-90. This is the same form that is used for the replacement of lost green cards. To avoid any confusion or delays, please be sure that you complete this form in its entirety and with great attention to detail. You will be required to provide up-to-date information on many aspects of your life, including:

  • Your current name;
  • Address;
  • Date of birth;
  • Origin country;
  • Alien registration number;
  • United States Social Security number;
  • Your class of admission;
  • Your date of admission; and
  • The city and consulate where you visa was originally issued.

You will also be required to submit the necessary application fees as well as required biometric information. You should set up a biometric screening appointment with USCIS. This appointment is standard and usually takes less than thirty minutes to complete. During it, you will be asked to provide your photograph, fingerprints and your signature. In some limited cases, you may also be asked to submit DNA information. Though, that is exceptionally rare in green card renewal cases and it will generally only occur if there is a major discrepancy.

What Happens if You Lose Your Permanent Resident Status

A green card represents proof of your legal status. However, even if you have permanent resident status within the United States, it is possible to lose this status. In the event that you lose your permanent resident status, you could be deported from the United States. As a permanent resident, you could potentially face removal for:

  • The failure to establish valid residence within the United States;
  • The conviction of a criminal act; or
  • The discovery of fraud within the immigration application process.

Remember, if you hold a green card as a conditional resident, you will be held to even higher standards. The simple failure to take action to renew your green card could will likely lead to automatic termination and could even lead to your removal from the country. Do not let this happen to you. Seek legal help.

Immigrants in L.A. Should Contact an Experienced Immigration Attorney for Immigration Solutions

At the Goldstein Immigration Lawyers, our team has extensive experience protecting the rights of immigrants. If you need help renewing your green card, or if you are in need of any other type of immigration-related assistance, even in the entertainment industry, please call our Los Angeles office today to set up an initial consultation. We proudly represent immigrants throughout Southern California, including in Glendale, Beverly Hills, Pasadena and Burbank.