How to Get Married in LA

Here at Goldstein Immigration Lawyers, we help many people who are looking to apply for a green card through marriage. The legal process of getting married can vary from state to state and even from city to city. Having a wedding in Glendale could be much different than having a wedding, let’s say, Santa Monica

“No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family,” echoed Justice Andrew Kennedy in June of 2015. At the core of marriage is a celebration of love and unity that is shared between two individuals. Yet in its outer shell, the steps partners must take to legally become married can sometimes be messy and confusing.

At the very least, for our fellow Angelenos who are looking to tie the knot, here’s how to get married in Los Angeles.

Decide If You Want To Do A Confidential License Or A Public License

The two types of licenses are similar and are both equally recognized by law. The key difference is that a confidential license costs $85, does not require witnesses for the marriage, but the couple must be married in the county that the license was issued. On the contrary, a public license costs $91, requires witnesses, becomes part of the public record, and the couple can get married in any county of California that they choose.

Apply For A Marriage License

Once you decide what kind of marriage license you would like, it’s time to fill out the application. There are two ways to go about applying for a marriage license, the easiest being to apply online. If you follow this link, you can fill out the online application by following the steps listed on the website.

The second method to apply is to show up to one of the designated offices for marriage licenses and ceremonies in person. You can find the one closest to you by following this link.

If you decide to go in person, be sure that both you and your partner go together, as both of you need to be present. You also need to bring the following materials:

  • a valid California I.D., driver’s license, passport, certified birth certificate, baptismal record and photo I.D., or alien resident card proving that you are over 18 years of age
  • a copy of your dissolution/annulment papers if either you or your partner were previously married

Pick Up The Marriage License

Once your application has been approved, it’s time for you and your partner to pick it up. Whether you applied online or in person, both you and your partner must go to any of the offices listed above. Don’t forget to bring a valid ID!

Get Married!

Once you have your license, you have 90 days to do the deed and officially tie the knot before your license expires. When it comes down to it, you can decide whether or not you want to do a civil or religious ceremony. Whatever you and your partner decide to do, just know that your marriage can be officiated by any of the following individuals: a member of the clergy, a judge, a mayor of a city in California, a Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages, or a member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors.

 Turn In Your Signed Marriage License

Once the excitement from your wedding festivities has simmered down, it’s time to turn in your signed marriage license to one of the designated offices. Once it’s turned in, your marriage will officially be recognized by law and you and your partner can begin your adventure into your happily ever after.

Apply For Your Green Card Through Marriage

Once you and your partner have been legally wed, it’s time to make your stay in Los Angeles official. Applying for a green card can sometimes be complicated and daunting, and it is for that reason that we’re here to help. Here at Goldstein Immigration Lawyers, we help many couples looking to apply for green cards through marriage. Call our law offices today and schedule a consultation with one of our immigration attorneys and we’ll help you make your dream of life in Los Angeles a reality.