Southern California proves that you do not need freezing temperatures and snow to get into the holiday spirit. As the Christmas season approaches again, there is no shortage of festive places to visit and excellent events to partake in this year. Indeed, the Los Angeles region offers a seemingly endless amount of Christmas fun for the whole family. To get started planning this year, please consider our following list of ten of the best places to visit in the area this Christmas.
Ten Holiday Events and Places to Visit this Year
- The Downtown Los Angeles Walking Tour: One of the best and most simple ways to take in the Christmas experience is to sign up for a Downtown Los Angeles christmas lights walking tour. The tour provides lots of insightful historical information about the city and its architecture and it takes you past many fantastic holiday sites. Downtown L.A. is well decorated this time of year. The tour costs $15 and it lasts for approximately two hours. It should be noted that there are two miles of walking involved, so please be sure that you are up to the challenge before signing up.
- Los Angeles Zoo Lights: Each year, the Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens is decorated with festive light displays for the holiday season. 2016 is actually the 50th year of zoo lights, and as such, the organizers have promised that this year’s display with be the most brilliant one yet. Zoo lights is a great way to spend Christmas with your family, especially if you have young children.
- Ice Skating in Pershing Square: The average December temperature in Los Angeles is about 60 degrees, but that does not mean that you are prevented from enjoying winter weather activities. The Pershing Square Holiday Ice Skating Rink is open until mid January each year.
- The Newport Boat Parade: If you are looking for a more relaxing event, the Newport Boat Parade may be perfect for you. At Newport beach, festively decorated yachts, boats and kayaks float by the harbor. This year’s boat parade runs from December 14th until December 18th. Even better, admission is free.
- CHILL at the Queen Mary: If you have young children, CHILL at the Queen Mary could be a great place to spend a day with your family this Christmas. There is an Alice in Wonderland theme this year along with ice skating, winter tubing, a north pole village and other live holiday entertainment.
- Holiday Lights at Sherman Oaks: If you are looking for a unique and memorable Christmas experience, consider visiting the holiday lights on display at Sherman Oaks. At his home, Mike Ziemkowski, a video editor by trade, puts together one of the country’s best lights displays. Altogether, there are more than 75,000 LED lights on display in Ziemkowski’s front yard each year.
- Christmas at Disneyland: No list of Los Angeles Christmas spots can be complete without mentioning Disneyland. Disneyland, located in Anaheim, sets up extensive Christmas displays and decorations throughout the park each year. Additionally, the resort offers many top-notch Christmas events and holiday shows. It is always worth considering a visit if you are looking for something to do with your family this winter.
- Sing-a-long at the Walt Disney Concert Hall: Every Christmas season, the Los Angeles Philharmonic puts on several different outstanding holiday themed performances. One of the most popular is always the annual holiday sing-a-long. This year’s holiday sing-along is set to take place on Saturday December, 17th. Actress Melissa Peterman is scheduled to be this year’s special guest host.
- It’s a Wonderful Life Screening at ArcLight: It’s a Wonderful Life is a classic Christmas movie. Even though the film first premiered way back in 1946, it still draws viewers to this day. Whether you have seen the movie before, or if this will be your first time, it is always worth a watch during the holiday season. ArcLight in Hollywood will have a special screening of the movie on Friday December 16th for those interested in seeing this Christmas classic.
- Wildlights Holiday Festival: If you are interested in making a Christmas day trip outside the city of Los Angeles, the annual Wildlights Holiday Festival might be the ideal event for you. The Wildlights Festival takes place in Palm Desert, California and runs until December 31st. Hundred of thousands of holiday lights glow throughout the desert-scape. Wildlights is always a great experience for Los Angeles families.
There are so many wonderful things to do in the Los Angeles area this holiday season. At the Goldstein Immigration Lawyers, we wish all immigrants in L.A., and those who are moving to L.A., a beautiful holiday season. And, of course, don’t hesitate to contact us if you need immigration help in the upcoming year.